Health Tip: Are You a Candidate for Knee Replacement?
Signs that surgery may be the best option
(HealthDay News) -- If one knee or both bad knees are keeping you from everyday tasks like walking stairs, total knee replacement may be an option.
The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons says any of these symptoms may mean you're a candidate for the surgery:
- Severe knee pain that limits your daily activities.
- Knee pain while resting.
- Chronic knee inflammation, swelling, or stiffness.
- Failure to obtain pain relief from non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Inability to tolerate pain medications, or complications from these drugs.
- Failure to improve from injections, physical therapy and surgery.
-- Kimberly Sferruzzo
Copyright © 2005 ScoutNews LLC. All rights reserved.
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.